The most common questions we hear from PSAPs about the upgrade to Next Generation 9-1-1 are, “How do we get from where we are today to where we need to be to support Next Generation 9-1-1? And how do we do it in a way that works for our processes and budget?” The answer is simple. A clear plan with logical steps, measurable improvements, and a checklist.
Today we’re going to focus on putting together that checklist to help make this overwhelming upgrade to your services and your community manageable. Review this checklist with your solutions provider and your clear plan has begun.
A Checklist for the Migration to Next Generation 9-1-1
- Can the Next Generation 9-1-1 equipment handle all of the following multimedia?
- Video (including real time video)
- Is there a plan in place to determine who has access to the new multimedia data, and the process for sharing this information?
- Can the new system receive telematics data and building plans? Can it receive security camera footage from a crime scene?
- Will the equipment be able to send, receive, and process the emergency incident data document (EIDD)?
- Will the new system have integrated SMS so call takers are processing texts the same way they do calls?
- Will we be testing and training on text-to-9-1-1 procedures and data sharing?
- Do we have an education plan for the community on how to use text-to-9-1-1?
- The upgrade to Next Generation 9-1-1 requires a lot of forms to be filed with the FCC and carriers. Do we have all these forms and the right procedures?
- Do we have a plan for selective/router replacement, carrier transition, and tabular routing?
- Are we comfortable with how the migration will impact our current analog selective routing and current operations?
- Will we discuss policy management routing training and rules including cross-agency interoperability?
- Are there cost sharing opportunities to be explored?
- Have we discussed our plan for equipment and space ownership, operations and maintenance set?
- Do all parties know when blind transfers will be made or when other jurisdictions will be brought into a call?
- Do we know at what stage in the process do we begin GIS data normalization?
- Is the process in place for provisioning authoritative GIS data?
- When will we begin training staff on NENA standards?
- Is there a plan together for how we archive multimedia data?
Choosing the Right Solutions Provider
We get it. The idea of starting the upgrade to NG91-1 is overwhelming. That’s why selecting the right solutions provider is the first, and one of the most crucial decisions in this process. One that provides a clear path and process from start to finish. Contrary to popular belief, there are many ways to go through this process with ease and within budget.
Next Generation 9-1-1 is the next step for PSAPS around the country and Synergem is here to support your migration from start to finish. Contact us to learn more about our process and solutions.