The public turns to 9-1-1 for emergencies and they expect it to work with great accuracy. Unfortunately, many Public Safety Access Points (PSAPS) around the country are still using the same phone-based systems they used 60 years ago. And when calls are dropped, or not enough information is provided, there can be devastating consequences.
However, the introduction of Next Generation 9-1-1 has made it possible for 9-1-1 call centers to answer calls more quickly, respond faster, and receive media-rich information that saves lives. The NENA i3 standard commonly referred to as “NG9-1-1,” is an IP-based communication system that connects 9-1-1 callers, PSAPs, and emergency responders through the latest advances in communications technologies.
6 Benefits of Next Generation 9-1-1
- Next Generation 9-1-1 modernizes 911 with enhanced communication techniques that people are using today. This means a PSAP will be able to receive 9-1-1 communication through text messages, video footage, photos, and voice. This gives callers the option to choose the communication method that doesn’t compromise their safety and it enhances spatial awareness for PSAPs and responding officers.
- These enhanced capabilities will allow for increased accuracy, such as the ability to track location directly from a smartphone device.
- The IP-based system is faster, more flexible, and scalable. For example, an officer will respond to the scene faster because a call is more accurately routed to the closest PSAP, avoiding delays and misdirected calls.
- Next generation 9-1-1 will make communities safer. With easy access to phones, building video cameras, and other devices, 9-1-1 responders will be able to receive real-time, crime scene information prior to their arrival. This, in turn, enables them to take swift action when they get there.
- In the event of a widespread emergency, like a natural disaster, Next Generation 9-1-1 protects against system overload with the ability to reroute calls to different PSAPS.
- Next Generation 9-1-1 is a long-term cost-saving. Migration can be completed with practically no change to current budgets, and there will be long term cost savings with system efficiencies.
Consider Upgrading to Next Generation 9-1-1 Solutions
There are over 240 million 9-1-1 calls a year and a growing digital divide between 9-1-1 callers and PSAPs using legacy systems. It’s time to modernize emergency communication. Next Generation 9-1-1 takes advantage of advances in technology and digital innovation to allow dispatchers to do their jobs successfully and keep families safe. If you are interested in learning more about upgrading your legacy systems, contact us today!